Saint Gregory Church
The Surb Grigor (Saint Gregory) Church is located on the southern side of the Great Gavit of Haghpat Monastery. It was built in 1025 from bluish, dressed basalt.
The church, which has a surface area of 11 by 8.5 meters and a gable, vaulted roof, has its only entrance from the west. This entrance is adorned with half-columns and an arch, within which the Armenian eternity sign is placed.
There are single-story sacristies (vestries) on the sides of the main altar and two-story sacristies next to the entrance; each contains a table for liturgy. It has five windows on the western side and three on the eastern side, respectively, and their frames are also ornamented. In 1211, the abbot of the monastery, Hovhannes Khachentsi, initiated renovation work inside the church.
In modern times, a certain tradition has formed among visitors to walk along the cornice of the southern outer wall of the Saint Gregory Church and make a wish. This has no connection to the rites of the Armenian Apostolic Church but is a popular recreational activity.
6°