Kayanberd Fortress
The Guardian Fortress of Haghpat and Sanahin Monasteries
Kayanberd is one of the most interesting and picturesque fortresses in the Lori Province of Armenia. It is built on a height opposite Haghpat village, surrounded on almost all four sides by deep canyons. Due to its elevated position, it served a supervisory role over the Debed Canyon and the surrounding sanctuaries, particularly Haghpat and Sanahin Monasteries. During times of external danger, valuable items from the monasteries, including a relic of the wood of the Holy Cross of Jesus Christ, were brought here.
According to the Armenian inscription on the wall of the church inside Kayanberd Fortress, it was built in 1233 by Hovhannes, the abbot of Haghpat Monastery and the son of Prince Zakare Zakaryan’s sister, and was named Amrots Haghpat’a Surb Nshani (Fortress of Haghpat’s Holy Sign). The name Kayanberd was given to the fortress later. Given the strategic location of the site, it is highly probable that a fortress also existed here previously, possibly built by the Kyurikian kings, upon whose foundations the new one was reconstructed.
Architectural Description Kayanberd extends 120 meters north-south, with its widest section measuring 20 meters. The fortress, which consists of two sections, is surrounded by powerful walls and sturdy circular towers, which were built with hammer-dressed basalt stones. The only entrance is from the east. Visitors had to pass in front of the wall and enter through a small, arched door opened inside a rectangular tower, near which a basalt khachkar (cross-stone) remains in its original place to this day.
Inside the fortress, ruins of buildings of various purposes have been preserved. There were barracks for soldiers and reservoirs here. Drinking water was brought underground via fired clay pipes from the adjacent forested mountain near Akner village.
Dsevank Church In the southern part, the Surb Astvatsatsin (Holy Mother of God) Church of the Armenian Apostolic Church, more commonly known as Dsevank, has been preserved. It is a domed structure with an external rectangular and internal cruciform plan. The entrance is from the west and is adorned with a modest frame. The upper part of the entrance—the lintel—consists of three separate stones, the middle of which has a cutout resembling cross-arms.
Kayanberd and Dsevank Church were partially damaged by the earthquake in 1827. A few years later, the ruined dome of the church was rebuilt by Margar Yerznkyan from Haghpat village, whose grave is located adjacent to the structure.
The Cabinet for the Relic of the Holy Cross In the walls next to the Dsevank Church altar, there are small cabinets. In the cabinet on the right side upon entering, the relic of the Surb Nshan of Haghpat Monastery—a small piece of the wood of the Holy Cross of Jesus Christ—was kept. It is currently preserved in the main church of Haghpat Monastery.
Kayanberd Excavations In the 1800s and 1900s, studies were conducted at Kayanberd Fortress, resulting in the discovery of ruins of buildings, a reservoir, and remnants of clay pipes. Measurements were taken, and inscriptions were deciphered. Excavations at Kayanberd began in 2025. Based on the results, the fortress is planned to be restored in the future.
How to get there Kayanberd Fortress can be reached via the Kayanberd trail, walking about 1.5 km from the Jraghatsadzor bridge. Over the centuries, this path was used by the soldiers defending the fortress, pilgrims, religious figures, scholars, and princes. The entrance is open 24 hours. It should be noted that in the dark, the edges of the fortress walls are difficult to see, and there is an abyss below.
6°