Haghpat Monastery Wall
The Fortified Wall and Towers of Haghpat Monastery
Haghpat Monastery is surrounded by a thick fortified wall and the towers that form part of it. It has two arched gates and one modern entrance, which is currently used by the majority of visitors.
The initial wall was constructed in the 10th–11th centuries, concurrently with the construction of the monastery’s first buildings or immediately thereafter, and enclosed a smaller area.
In 1220, the Armenian Prince Kurd, brother of the monastery’s abbot, Archbishop Barsegh, expanded the wall, incorporating three small, adjoining chapels within the monastery grounds.
The western side of the wall, where there are three watchtowers, is part of the original enclosure and is mostly built of bluish, dressed basalt. The tower at the southwest corner is the largest in size and is built with a combination of fired brick and rough stone, giving it an aesthetic appearance.
The other sides of the wall are mainly constructed from rough stones. The main, historical entrance is an arched gate located on the eastern side. A large stone cross is placed in the upper part. It was built in 1246 under the initiative of the monastery’s abbot, Archbishop Hamazasp, using bluish dressed basalt. The defensive structure has undergone certain renovations later on.
6°